Five persons, a man and his two children and two others were confirmed dead last Friday in Uchenyim Village, in North Ukelle in Northern Cross River State after eating a dog meat.
Reports from the area stated that the dog was fond of eating the eggs laid by native chicken in Odareko-Uchenyim village and one of the villagers allegedly laced the eggs laid by his native chicken with gamalin 20 insecticide and as exppected,
“the dog ate the eggs and fell ill and when it was about to die the owner quickly killed and prepared it into a delicacy which he, his family consumed and some neigbours consumed ” Ugem Onawo, a villager said.
According to report, the man and his two children and two others who died ate the intestines of the dag where incidentally the poison from the gamalin 20 is lodged lead to their taking ill and dying.
“After the man shared the intestines among his children and the two neighbours and they ate death came calling and they all died though at different times ”. source said
Sources said they were rushed to the local health centre for medical attention but were confirmed dead on arrival at the health centre.
“A feeling of grieve has descended on the entire village and people are deeply saddened by what took place as such a tragedy has not befallen them before” Hon Frank Ugbem, the councilor representing Wanikade Ward at the Yala Local Government Area legislature said the tragedy is painful and that he has sent a delegation to console the bereaved families.