Shoes with exceptionally high heels have become a fashion trend which has come to stay for ladies in this 21st century. The shoes come in different shapes and sizes, the most popular being the stilettos and the wedge. The stilettos come with very narrow but high heels while the wedge has wider heels. In fact, the funny fact is that even older women still buy and wear high-heeled shoes just like the younger women. Indeed, Nigerian ladies are not left out. The ladies in Nigeria wear heels at almost all occassions be it social,work and even religious occassions. I recently attended a wedding occassion where I keenly observed that about 98 percent of the ladies,including myself wore high-heeled shoes.I even spotted a pregnant woman on stilettos.Shocking, right? We can appreciate the fact that high-heeled shoes are very cute,fashionable and classy but to wear them often has its health implications.
Therefore, research has proven that the health hazards involved in wearing high-heeled shoes frequently include:
1. The higher the heels of shoes, the greater the pressure exerted on the joints and this can lead to back ache and severe knee pain;
2. It forces the posture of the person wearing it into an unnatural position thereby stressing the spine and other body joints;
3. Also the overall imbalance caused by the high heels, leads to instability when walking and the increased risk of ankle sprains;
4. High heeled shoes changes the amount of weight on the forefoot thereby increasing the risk for injuries such as hammer toes,stress fractures and bunions;
5. It can contract and shorten the calf muscle and the Achilles tendon putting one at risk of getting a foot disease known as Achilles tendinitis or shin splints;
6. Finally, always wearing high-heeled shoes can lead to a lady developing “Yam legs” in Nigeria’s local parlance meaning that the back of the leg which ordinarily should be smooth and soft for a lady,will become hard like yam tubers.
In conclusion, high-heeled shoes are fashionable and in vogue.However, it is imperative to understand that they are best worn only on rare occassions or perhaps at the most twice in a week so that one will not cause unnecessary hazards to oneself while trying to look good and chic. So please ladies beware!
Written By Adaeze Madugba