The Palestinian and Isreali government have agreed to a 3 days cease-fire start from today August 5th. The 3-day cease fire will actually be a “pure humanitarian cease-fire” with no military action Both governments are expected to sit today and deliberate on their terms and conditions for a total cease fire.
Earlier yesterday, Egypt which is serving as a mediator, presented the Palestinians demands to Israel, which includes an end to the total blockade on Gaza of goods and people, the recently released rearrested prisoners who had been freed in the Gilad Shalit prisoner exchange, the reconstruction of Gaza, including the port and the airport; and also the extension of Palestinian fishing rights to 12 meutical miles.
“The onus is on Hamas,” Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev said shortly after announcing on CNN’s “The Lead with Jake Tapper” that Israel had accepted the Egyptian proposal.
“We are entering this with our eyes open. …We have been burnt more than once.”
The sentiment was similar from Hamas spokesman Osama Hamdan, who told CNN as long as Israel honors the agreement, so will the Palestinians.
News of the cease-fire comes as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed Monday to finish the military operation to destroy Hamas’ network of tunnels.
“This operation will end only when quiet and security are restored to the citizens of Israel for a lengthy period,” he said.
The remaining tunnels are few, according to IDF spokeswoman Lt. Libby Weiss. “Those remaining numbers are in the single digits, between one and three,” she said.