Job Title: Child Protection Coordinator
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC intervened with emergency nutrition and food security program in Kogi state from, February 2013 to January 2014.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Child Protection Coordinator will be responsible for providing strategic direction and vision to the IRC’s Protection programming in Nigeria. The Child Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the overall quality design and implementation of child protection programming and will work extensively with other sectors to ensure that protection principles are mainstreamed into all programs. The Child Protection Coordinator will report to the field coordinator.
- Establishment of IRC child protection activities in Nigeria in line with the overall strategy.
- Ensuring quality implementation of all child protection programming elements.
- Effective establishment of IRC as a key player in the protection sector.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Technical Quality/Programme Management
- Lead the overall design and implementation of child protection programming, providing technical leadership and management in accordance with best practice and IRC policy;
- Lead or contribute to the development of a child protection sector strategy in consultation with the technical Unit Staff and Senior Management;
- Oversee the collection and analysis of information relating to child protection problems in Adamawa, including monitoring the child protection issues/other human rights violations to inform protection responses and programme interventions;
- Use child protection information to propose new areas of work for the IRC, and support in proposal development;
- Ensure that child protection is mainstreamed into all IRC projects and the projects of any potential local partners by contributing to program design, monitoring and evaluation;
- Monitor child protection aspects of other sectors and advise in establishing cross-cutting strategies and integrated programmes;
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and provide quality oversight and mentoring to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions;
- Support the development and delivery of technical trainings for IRC child protection and partner staff to ensure a high quality standard of implementation;
- Hold overall responsibility for child protection staff management including: development of job descriptions, workplans, performance management plans, vacation schedules, and staff professional development activities.
- Ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters;
- Manage all financial aspects of the child protection programs (budget forecasting, development of spending plans and budget follow-up), approve relevant expenses and review expenditures, in consultation with the Finance Team.
- Relevant Qualification in Social Work. International Human Rights, or other related field
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in managing protection projects
- Prior experience working in with INGO or emergency settings
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- Must be capable of applying their skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training and the transfer of technical knowledge and management skills to others.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
Click here for more details and how to apply